Monday 14 October 2013

This week I attempted a more intricate design: a snowy winter scene with reindeers!

First I researched images that matched the 'look' that I had in mind.  I avoided anything 'cute' and bambi-like, preferring instead the rough and rugged stag-like images.



I then sketched my own design onto tracing paper which I transferred onto a cut of Soft Cut synthetic lino:

 
 
From here, I carved out the design with lino cutters:
 


Finally I dabbed the stamp onto an ink pad (ideally black) and printed!



Thoughts:

Generally I was pleased with the result.  Usually I would use black ink to give the effect of reindeers silhouetted in the moonlight.  I am currently working on the snowy background.  This will be made on a separate cut of lino (cross-hatching for the background with tiny scooped out circles to give the appearance of falling snow).  This shall be applied to the paper first, then the reindeers on top (into which I will have scooped out small circles so that the snowy effect is continuous with the background). 


Targets for this week:
  • To continue working on the reindeer winterscape
  • To play around with some rubber and gel stamps that I have recently acquired








No comments:

Post a Comment